The Communications Officer at African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) : Deadline: 06-11-2022
We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
Established in 2003 in Cape Town, South Africa, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a Pan-African network of centres of excellence offering postgraduate training, research, and public engagement for the advancement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in Africa. Building on the success of its first Centre in South Africa, AIMS launched the Next Einstein Initiative (NEI) in 2008 to scale up and roll out the AIMS model across the continent. Five additional centres were established in Senegal (2011), Ghana (2012), Cameroon (2013), Tanzania (2014), and Rwanda (2016). Its global secretariat is situated in Kigali, Rwanda and it has global offices in United Kingdom, Germany and Canada.
Working with the Manager, Teacher Training Program Rwanda, you will be a key resource to work on AIMS Teacher Training Program corporate collateral and regularly update network branding guidelines and ensure adherence to the guidelines. You will design and create a practical and measurable communications and public engagement strategy, work with the AIMS Communications team to implement an internal strategy for AIMS TTP-Rwanda including management of newsletters, respond to the needs of the target audience, and are delivered within agreed budget and timelines and provide support to staff within the communications team as needed.
You will also act in accordance with the objectives and ethos of AIMS-NEI and Mastercard Foundation Leaders in Teaching (LIT) program and undertake other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time.
This is a 3 months renewable contract opportunity based at the Secretariat in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications / Public Relations/Marketing/ Journalism or other related field;
- 3+ years of experience in communications or related field;
- Excellent and proven writing and editing skills;
- Experience planning, managing and executing successful communications campaigns;
- Prior experience writing content on behalf of a large organisation and/or its executives, preferably in the non-profit sector;
- Understanding of social media dynamics & use for impact communication;
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment;
- Bi-lingual (English/Kinyarwanda). Must be able to speak and write Kinyarwanda;
- Powerful communicator;
- Effective team player: Meet deadlines, put out fires, multitask. Work fast and work well with others. Experience handling highly confidential information in a professional manner;
- Issues engagement: Stay engaged in global news, trends and emerging issues;
- Self-sufficient proficiency with MS Office and Internet applications.
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.