The Programme Specialist manages and implement the UNFPA Rwanda Country Programme’s component related to sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). He/She will lead on formulation, monitoring and evaluation of the SRHR programme including, but not limited to, UN joint programming initiatives, high level policy advisory inputs, research and studies as well as national development legal and policy frameworks. He/She will lead the sexual and reproductive health and rights programme team and collaborate with other programme units as well as the Country Office’s operations and administrative support staff to ensure synergy across country programme areas of work and full compliance with UNFPA’s policies and procedures.
Under the overall leadership of UNFPA Representative and the direct supervision of the Deputy Representative, the Sexual and reproductive Health Programme Specialist contributes effectively to the implementation of the UNFPA Rwanda Country Programme and directly manages UNFPA’s led initiatives on SRHR in Rwanda. He/she analyzes and values the political, social and economic trends in SRHR in the country, assess data gaps and support evidence generation efforts in the country to make data available for use in the formulation and evaluation of initiatives at all levels including, joint programming interventions and national development programmes.
In addition, the Sexual and Reproductive Health Programme Specialist will provide high level strategic and technical advisory support to the government of Rwanda, when required, and to the UNFPA Rwanda office on sexual and reproductive health and rights, as well leads research efforts on SRHR in Rwanda and supports any other study and evidence generation efforts as undertaken by colleagues in the UNFPA Rwanda Office. He/she will ensure full compliance of UNFPA policies and procedures in collaboration with relevant units.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Working within a Country Office (CO) environment, you will ensure the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Employing your technical expertise and programme management experience you will oversee and guide the implementation of the sexual and reproductive health and rights work which will include supervising staff, consultants, and experts – when required. You will establish and maintain collaborative relationships with counterparts in the office, within the East and Southern Africa Regional Office, in government, with multilateral and bilateral donor agencies and civil society, in the private sector to address emerging issues, and effectively influence diverse stakeholders to contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate.
You would be responsible for:
- In collaboration with the UNFPA Rwanda Country Office, Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, overseeing the design, the monitoring and implementation of the country programme and its component projects related to sexual and reproductive health and rights, aligning with national priorities, UNFPA’s mandate as well programme policies and procedures.
- Overseeing achievement of programme results by ensuring appropriate policies are applied and monitoring and oversight mechanisms are established and implemented.
- Assessing the political, social and economic environment relevant to UNFPA programme activities, and pursuing opportunities, including strategic partnerships, for UNFPA assistance and intervention.
- Providing high level strategic and technical guidance and inputs on policies, research work and studies in relation to sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Assessing implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution, and ensuring their integration within the SRHR programme domain.
- Overseeing SRHR project/programme implementation; establishing partnerships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies to facilitate timely and efficient delivery of project inputs.
- Ensures taking into account the best practices and lessons learned of quality and also policies newly developed in Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights during designing, monitoring and evaluation of the programmes/projects/initiatives,
- Follows the progress and new developments in policies and strategies by analyzing the strategy papers and the national developments plans, prepares files and data for the policy dialogue, coordination of technical assistance and development programmes.
- Ensures effective implementation of knowledge management strategies by the SRHR programme team, capturing lessons learned and best practices for future planning; addresses capacity needs of project personnel and informs management accordingly.
- Participates in advocacy efforts and lead resource mobilization efforts focusing on SRHR or having SRHR components within the CO, by ensuring preparation of relevant documentation, background data, as well i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in related meetings and public events.
- Analyses and reports on the progress of the SRHR component of the country programme in terms of results achieved and lessons learnt from existing monitoring and evaluation tools and introduces new mechanisms if need be;
- Responsible for quality execution of implementing partners AWPs, follows expenses and disbursements made in the work plans and projects to ensure achieving compliance with approved budgets and according to the expected results.
- Gathers lessons learned and best practices in the SRHR setting and share them with the office and other structures, partners and avenues as appropriate
- Regularly provide quality information to be included in articles, newsletters and social media to showcase the Country Office’s work.
- Timely contribute to the development of corporate management plans such as Office Management Plans and submit quality information using the appropriate corporate systems such as the Strategic Information System, DARTS and others.
- Ensures Proactive participation in programme meetings and in thematic groups and task forces/teams in the context of the United Nations Delivering as One.
Qualifications and Experience:
Master’s Degree preferably in Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Public Health, or relevant Social Sciences or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the field of public health and social sciences, preferably SRHR program development and management;
- Experience in programme/ project management including experience in large multi-sector projects, designing and appraising proposals and actively liaising with relevant and potential project partners;
- Proven track record in developing policy papers, research and conducting thematic studies experiences.
- Proven experience in coordinating/managing a multi-disciplinary team of staff, experts and consultants;
- Experience in drafting legislation and policy is an asset;
- Experience in technical advice roles in SRHR is an asset;
- Field experience is an asset;
- Prior experience in the UN system is an asset.
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French is desirable.
|Values:Exemplifying integrity,Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,Embracing cultural diversity,Embracing change||Functional Competencies:Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agendaLeveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnershipsDelivering results-based programmeInternal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation|
|Core Competencies: Achieving results,Being accountable,Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,Thinking analytically and strategically,Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,Communicating for impact||Managerial Competencies:Providing strategic focus,Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performanceMaking decisions and exercising judgment|
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO START APPLICATION